Just a quick update here.
I got lucky.
My expedient (lazy) pin basting of the postage stamp quilt worked out fine. I finished quilting all the vertical lines last night and didn’t have any puckers or pleats between the layers. Very relieved. Now I just need to do all the horizontal lines.
However, looking at how much thread is left on my spool, I’m not confident I’ll have enough for the whole quilt. Fingers crossed.
I tried out a white background for my paper pieced snowflake. The dark blue just wasn’t quite working for me.
I made up a couple of new triangles with the new background fabric. I like the colours, but the pattern repeat looks really odd when they get joined together. So it’s one of those ‘one step forward two steps back’ situations. I now know what fabric I want to use for the background, but now I have backgrounds on 3 triangles to redo rather than just one. Sigh.
I am looking forward to seeing how the whole thing looks when it’s put together though. That should be fun.
I didn’t actually take as much of a break from quilting as my absence on my blog would suggest. However, yes, the pace of my quilting definitely slowed down over the summer. Partly that’s because the summer is just not the time to be covered in huge hot fabric, but also because I was helping my husband recover from surgery and getting myself through the first trimester of my first pregnancy. It’s been a busy few months.
I have managed to get some patchwork and quilting done so I’ll be updating you over the next few weeks with my finishes and progress checks.
Welcome back to my patchwork home 😀
My postage stamp quilt is moving along nicely. Chain piecing makes it ridiculously quick and simple to assemble. It’s a real change not to have to think carefully about how blocks fit together or lots of different elements combining. Compared to both my recent Jigsaw Quilt and my ongoing Japanese Sampler, this is a bit of lovely light piecing relief.
It’s getting pretty big now: nearly the size of a double bed.
I thought I was basically done with the piecing (because I’d pretty much used up all of my prepared squares and was getting tired) when a thought occurred to me. About 5 years ago I asked my sister what type of quilt she might like. She said something bright with all the colours of the rainbow. Over the years I’ve never really had an idea that seemed right for her, so she’s not yet had a quilt from me. As I was looking at my postage stamp quilt top she popped into my head and I knew this could be her quilt. It will need to be a bit longer to work as a sofa snuggling Quilt because she’s taller than me. So I’ll dig out some more fabrics to add to the scrappy feel and piece up a couple more rows so it is the right size. I think a dark grey backing will suit the quilt nicely and will go with her home decor scheme (as much as a crazy multicolour quilt can co-ordinate with anything). I’m hoping to have it done for Christmas (not sure I want to commit to Christmas 2017) but we’ll see how it goes. I’m still on a high from finishing the Jigsaw Quilt in time for for Christening. Maybe that will see me through…
It’s been a very productive quilting year so far.
I finally finished off my red quilt after a 10 year battle with much learning about quilting. Appropriately this quilt is called ‘Learning Curve’.
I’ve completed one Quilt from scratch (Christopher’s Jigsaw Quilt)
I pieced and built a quilt sandwich with my Japanese Sampler Quilt.
And I also pieced the top for my sister’s postage stamp quilt. ((Photos in an upcoming post soon))
Given that my normal rate has been about one quilt per year, I’m feeling extremely industrious. Let’s hope the next few months keep going in a similar fashion.
This week I got another sashiko block done for my Japanese Sampler quilt. It’s a ring of bamboo leaves. It was quite a busy design and took a while to figure out the most order in which to stitch the pattern.
I really like the final effect. Getting close to being able to put the top together now…
Just like you can’t have a Japanese quilt without a crane, teapot or fan. You can’t have one without a kimono.
With a little bit of internet searching I came across a series of quilts that used a really pretty kimono pattern. Working from the photos I made up my own version of the block (I’m certainly getting more confident at designing my own patterns as this quilt goes along).
I did forget about seam allowances when cutting out the pattern though so I had to be mindful of that when piecing this block. I also forgot I was supposed to have three fabrics so it ended up with just two but I still really like it.
I think what I like most is that it was the right size! So this block can also go on the front of the quilt. Whoop