Foundation paper piecing was a whole new world to me. I came across a free pattern online for a crane. I gave it a go and my first Japanese block was born!
The block will finish up at 12″ when I’ve trimmed it to size, I’m waiting till I’m ready to assemble the quilt before I do the final trimming.
I was so pleased with this. I love this fabric, the technique was fun, it was fairly straightforward and looked crisp. That is until I looked closer and discovered that the points on the beak do not match up. Whoops.
So I decided that this block can be used on the back of the quilt.
I made another one for the front. This time using a different fabric to see how that would work out.
I used the same fabric for all the parts of the crane. The pattern had recommended different fabrics for the underside parts of the bird. I tried to kind of create this effect by using green sections of the fabric for those pieces. It’s not really as effective as I’d hoped because there is green in the other section too, but I still like the one fabric effect so I’m letting it be.